Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My yesterday morning

I started this blog post yesterday, but didn't get around to finishing it until tonight. Such is my life. But anyways...

Yesterday morning I started the day off by waking up at 5:15. My alarm goes off at 4:00 or 4:30, depending how ambitious I am the night before. But yesterday morning, I didn't even realize I hit snooze. You know you're exhausted when you don't remember hearing the buzzer go off once, let alone the 8 times I evidently whacked the snooze button. Oops. (On a side note, I really need to stop bringing work home with me. And Z really needs to re-learn how to sleep all night long.) So, needless to say, I was running a bit late getting out the door. I had to go to a different site for work, so that meant I had an hour-and-a-half to two-hour drive ahead of me.

But getting out the door 20 minutes late set me up to have perfect views of the most amazing sunrise. Timing is everything. The sky was pink and purple when I pulled out of the driveway. By the time I got to the bridge, the entire sky in front of me was orange, pink, and purple. And by the time I got to the second bridge, the sky was a bright golden yellow-orange, with shades of orange, pink, and purple fading throughout the sky, and the reflection on the water was glowing. The sky and water looked like a beautiful photograph from a magazine or something. If I had left on time, I'm sure the sunrise would have been beautiful, but I wouldn't have been able to see it while driving over two bridges; I would have only seen a sliver of the sky through the tall trees lining each side of the highway, instead of being surrounded by it. Being surrounded by the colorful glowing sky helped me get into a much better mindset. Instead of being frazzled and rushed, I felt peaceful and grounded.

And, a little further along on my drive, I saw a rainbow. I can't remember the last time I saw a rainbow, it's been a while. I'm not even sure where it came from - it didn't rain all day yesterday, and the sky was mostly clear, yet there it was. It wasn't a full rainbow, it was just a segment, hovering brightly between two clouds. Rainbows always give me a sense of magic and hope and inspiration, I feel like anything is possible. No matter how bad a storm is, there is a light at the end of the tunnel; there is hope and beauty and healing and a world of possibilities.

Along the drive, I got thinking of my friend-in-a-box Mali (http://musingsfrombedlam.wordpress.com/). She's on day 20 of hospital bedrest, trying to stay pregnant for as long as possible (she's 27 weeks tomorrow!). And once I got to work I had a team meeting, where I learned that my boss was just diagnosed with cancer. I can't even imagine how difficult things are for either of them. But, I'm sending all the peacefulness, grounded-ness, hope, healing, magic, happy thoughts, sunrises, and rainbows I can their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment