Some of my friends have been doing a thankfulness challenge on facebook, where they post something they're thankful for each day for the whole month of November. I think it's a great idea, but I'm horrible at posting every day...lol. So, here's a whole month worth of thanks!
1 - I'm thankful for coffee. Specifically, dunkin donuts original blend coffee, extra cream, one sugar. Many days would just not be possible without coffee. Mmmmmmm.....
2 - I'm thankful for my kids. They teach me what childhood is supposed to be all about - watching their innocence, excitement, amazement, curiousity, imagination, and expression as they grow is just plain awesome. Plus, they're pretty darn cute, if I do say so myself. ;)
3 - I'm thankful for my husband. We drive eachother crazy at times, but I couldn't imagine life without him.
4 - I'm thankful for my mom. She's got a free spirit and a great heart and the kids love their "Crazy Gramma" despite the miles (yes, that's what the kids call her, seriously...lol). Growing up there were a few bumps in the road, but she must have gotten something right because I turned out pretty good!
5 - I'm thankful for mother-in-law. She's been the extra pair of hands or extra set of eyes many times when I've needed help with the kids. The kids love spending time with her, and I love seeing that bond grow between them. Plus, she's a HUGE help with Thanksgiving dinner (I'm going on my third time hositing Thanksgiving, but I still have never cooked a turkey, ham, or stuffing on my own...LOL).
6 - I'm thankful for my other "mom" C. She's my best friend's mom, and has been a great source of love and support since I was 6 years old. I'm thankful for sleepovers at her house, embarrassing balloon pictures, surprise baby showers, and lots more.
7 - I'm thankful for my other other "mom" Master A (thoughtsfromtherun.wordpress.com). She's been in my life since I was 8, and has had many roles - martial arts instructor, boss, and mentor, to name a few. She's been an amazing role model, and has been another great source of love, support, and guidance through the years.
8 - I'm thankful for my job. I'm don't think being an auditor is my ultimate "calling" in life, but it works for me for now. The pay and benefits are good, I have a flexibile schedule, and an understanding boss.
9 - I'm thankful for money. We have enough money for things we need, with a few little extras. Money is definitely tight, and there are plenty of household projects that have been put off for, well...years, but we don't go without life's basic necessities. And if we don't have the money for something unexpected (like the new roof we just got...ugh), I'm thankful for my good credit.
10 - I'm thankful for all of my friends-in-a-box. I have become a much better person, friend, and mother because of them. There's always someone with experience, advice, support, ideas, etc. when I need it, and I love that.
11 - I'm thankful for my best friend J. We've been best friends since first grade (for 21 years already, yikes! We're getting old! Hahaha). Even though we don't see eachother all that often, and even though I've gotten pretty boring since becoming a mom, we still have fun when we get together. (Just please...no more jello shots!).
12 - I'm thankful for health. It always seems like there is something going on with someone in my house, but...it's never anything that can't be overcome. Allergies, dental stuff, vision troubles, fevers, skin cysts, infections, and a bazillion different types of germs I've never heard of until I became a mom...Things definitely get frustrating, expensive, and overwhelming at times, but there are so many people out there who have health problems far worse, and many others who have lost a loved one much too soon...kind of puts things in perspective.
13 - I'm thankful for my grandparents. They were both amazing people, and I'm thankful they were in my life as long as they were.
14 - I'm thankful for my father. I'm thankful for the happy childhood memories I have of him. I'm thankful for the eye-opening time it was living with him for a short time at 17, and I'm thankful that we've both grown to be better people since then. I'm thankful that he's part of my life and my children's lives, and I'm thankful that I've been able to get to know him better over the past few years.
15 - I'm thankful for my former step-father, B. I'm going to explain a bit more in a whole separate post some time, since this one's complicated. But, simple version...everything happens for a purpose, and that purpose serves me. I'm a much better person today than I ever would have been without his influence in my life.
16 - I'm thankful for my house. I bought my grandparents' house a few months before my grandmother passed away. This house...it's old and has a 1098763084760956234 things that need to be fixed, but that doesn't matter. I have so many memories in this house -- I lived here when I was 1-2 years old, again when I was 17, and again since I was 21. My mom, her brother, and her sister all grew up in this house. I visited my grandparents here every Friday when I was little. We'd celebrate birthdays and holidays and have weekend family meals here. I love how I'm raising my kids in the same house as my grandparents raised their kids. I love that my house makes has such a connection to my past and my family.
17 - I'm thankful for pictures. I love looking through the black and white pictures of my grandparents when they were younger; I love looking through the pictures of my mom and her siblings as kids; I love looking through pictures of me and my brother as kids; I love looking through pictures of my kids when they were younger; and I love taking way too many pictures of my kids as they continue to grow. There are so many moments that I don't want to forget, and I love how moments can preserved forever with just a click of a camera.
18 - I'm thankful for skittles. And hot tomales. And reeses pieces. (and I'm not really "thankful", but I guess it's for the best, but the kids didn't get many of those candies at all for Halloween for me to "share" with them...*sniffles*...darnit!).
19 - I'm thankful for sleep. I tend to be a bit sleep-deprived, with three kids and all (and yes, I'm posting this blog entry at 2:40 in the morning, since Z was up and I can't get back to sleep...LOL). But I always appreciate a full night's sleep whenever one happens to come along. And if there's not enough sleep, see #1.
20 - I'm thankful for the relatively warm November we've had so far. Warm days make me happy.
21 - I'm thankful for facebook. It makes sharing pictures and keeping in touch with faraway friends and family so much easier.
22 - I'm thankful for handmade crafty things -- like the handmade wooden trainset or the see-saw my dad made for the kids, or the handmade quilt and dollies my friend Bree (distantpickles.blogspot.com) made for the kids. I'm not the crafty-est person in the world, but the few mini-projects I've done seem to be enjoyed and appreciated (ribbon-ey hair clips, hand/foot print paint projects with the kids, and various mod podge things). Knowing a lot of time, effort, and thought went into a gift makes me feel special.
23 - I'm thankful for karate - for the instructors, the classmates, the school. Plus, meeting my husband there was a nice little bonus...lol.
24 - I'm thankful for my massage therapist and my regularly scheduled "tune-up" appointments that keep me going.
25 - I'm thankful for relaxation - for long, hot showers and walks through the local state park.
26 - I'm thankful for a quiet house; for the rare chance to be alone with my thoughts, or to do anything I want around the house without interruption.
27 - I'm thankful for a loud, crazy, house full of happy, giggly, playful kids.
28 - I'm thankful for music -- for songs from the radio that are so emotional and powerful and I relate to completely; for fun kids songs that we dance around the living room to (Big Time Rush, Victorious, and Dora are the latest); for cheery Christmas music; for made-up goofy songs, etc.
29 - I'm thankful for stickers, stamps, make-up, and markers. Okay, well maybe I'm not so thankful for those, but once I get over the effort involved in cleaning up each day's creative disasters and the mystery colors from each kid, I'm thankful that I have such fun, creative, expressive kids. :)
30 - I'm thankful for Thanksgiving. For family gatherings, for celebrations, for a reminder to pause and reflect.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment