Saturday, April 7, 2012

Perspective

Z had an appointment with a pediatric hematologist earlier this week (he inherited my funky anemia gene, nothing major). I didn't realize until I got to his appointment that the pediatric hematology area was actually the pediatric hematology and oncology area. The waiting room was humbling, to say the least.

Appointments were running really behind (a few kids had to be rushed to the ER with complications), so we ended up spending two hours in the waiting room with cancer kids. Most of the kids in the waiting area were hooked up to IV's. One young girl was in a wheelchair. Another patient was an infant, I'm guessing maybe three months old, hooked up to an IV while her mother discussed the logistics of her upcoming transplant. I saw a father cry, in an area out of his teenage daughter's sight. Seeing the realities for these kids and their parents...definitely puts things in perspective.

I didn't know how to act in that waiting room; the only mom of a healthy kid, the only parent there who's life wasn't turned upside down. It's next to impossible for me to imagine what they are going through. But I admired those parents, and those kids, for their strength and bravery in dealing with everything life has sent their way. I felt weird asking / commenting about the children's various conditions, so I didn't. I didn't know what else to do, but I made it a point to look the kids / parents in the eyes, comment on how cute the kids were, share some smiles, interact with the kids a bit. Plus, Z was such a ham, and made it hard NOT to interact with everyone...he was climbing up into the chairs and smiling at whoever was next to him, playing cars with a little girl, investigating the wheels on the wheelchair, trying to steal snacks from other parents' bags, and making me save IV holders and supplies from the craft table before he caused a disaster. His antics brought a smile to many faces in that waiting room. I hope that we were able to brighten their day, even just a little bit. 

Health-wise, we tend to have a lot going on as a family. But, it's all little stuff. All stuff that can be fixed or monitored; nothing major or life-threatening. And for that, I'm extremely thankful.

A little perspective goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment