Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Balancing Act

When our family gets sick, we go all out. Germ-sharing seems to be inevitable. (Now if only the kids would share their toys as easily as they share their germs…)
 
Z had a cold, along with a stomach thing. In typical boy fashion, he thought his “burgers” (“boogers” in Z-language) were hilarious, and he thought that blowing his nose till the “burgers” hung off of his chin was super-cool. And, since he was pooping a rainbow, he thinks “guess-the-poop-color-before-a-diaper-change” is a fun game now. *sigh*. Boys. Anyways, he’s doing much better, and hopefully he doesn’t get a second round of sickness from anyone.
 
L had a cold that would not go away after almost two weeks. She was coughing nonstop, having trouble sleeping, and acting exhausted. This, coming from the kid who rarely “acts” sick when she is sick, had us heading to the doctor’s for a sick visit. She’s got an upper respiratory infection, along with an assortment of meds.
 
R has had a bit of a sniffley thing, but seemed to be doing okay – until Sunday night, when she woke up in tears because her ear hurt and she thought she had an ear infection. So, it was back to the doctor's for a sick visit for R.
 
And I am fighting off the cold the kids so lovingly shared with me.
 
And A…he’s fine. I don’t know how or why, but he hasn’t caught any of the germs. Definitely not fair. (But, I've heard that a "man cold" can be a thousand times worse than a mommy cold, so I guess it's a good thing he's still healthy!)   :P
 
I feel bad that I haven’t been able to bring the kids to visit my dad in a couple weeks, but I don’t think my dad’s immune system would appreciate our germs right about now.
 
And some non-germ-related things that add to the chaos…
 
R had surgery a few days after Christmas to remove a cyst from her thigh. She had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic ointment we were using, but the incision is healing and the reaction has mostly cleared.
 
R just had some dental work done last week – she needed a tooth pulled, a cavity filled, and an impression made in preparation for the new space maintainer she’ll be getting next month. This kid has had one expensive mouth, ever since one of her 12-year molars decided to come in when she was 7.
 
R’s vision has gotten a bit worse, so she had an eye exam last week and we ordered some new glasses with her new prescription. She's super excited, since we ordered transitions lenses this time.
 
I’m getting some lingering GI issues looked into, and the testing and prep and everything, well, stinks. Blah.
 
*fngers crossed* that we'll all get healthy and things will settle down soon! Life's already a balancing act, trying to juggle work, sleep, kids, activities, errands, housework, and all the other "normal" things; adding medical stuff to the list puts a little too much extra "crazy" to the routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment