Thursday, January 10, 2013

Serenity

I find myself thinking of the serenity prayer a lot lately...

God grant me the serenity to
Accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

I already know that this year is going to be a challenge.

My dad was recently diagnosed with throat cancer, and he will be starting treatment soon. I've brought him to a couple appointments so far, and a few things the doctors said have stood out to me. One being that the treatment will probably be the most difficult thing he'll go through in his life. And two, being that the survival rate for people with his type/stage of cancer is about fifty percent.

Cancer sucks.

I...am a big jumble of emotions. I'm trying to focus on the things I have control over. For example, I can't "fix" cancer and I can't change the fact that my dad might die. But for now, I can give my dad rides to appointments, I can help the kids make cards, I can stop by to check on my dad more often, I can offer to help whenever my dad needs me, I can talk to the kids about cancer and treatments so they understand what's going on.

Another saying that's been popping into my head lately -- Prepare for the worst, expect the best, and take what comes.

I'm proud of my dad for making his health a priority and for facing everything. I hope that he can tolerate the treatments, that he kicks cancer's butt, and that he comes out even stronger in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment